5.01.2007

Strawberry Fields Forever

Like all good things in life, some things are best shared or revealed by your friends. And that’s exactly how I was introduced to the downtown Memphis Farmers Market. My good pal Jess spent a year in town clerking for a judge and living downtown. Now she’s back to hustle and bustle of NYC.

But during her time here we took many trips around the city where I introduced her to some of my favorite people, place and things in Memphis. And she of course lured me downtown for some unexpected adventures too. One of my favorites memories of Jess living in Memphis has to be her fondness for The Cheesecake Corner, The Arcade and the Memphis Farmers Market.

The Cheesecake Corner and The Arcade were old hat to me after working downtown, but the open air market at the old train station - now that was an adventure. I had previously visited farmers markets in NYC, Kansas, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina and the small one at Agrocenter in East Memphis.

But never had I been to such fun and inviting farmers market experience. And it was found here in Memphis - bonus! It’s nice to have an outdoor market that offers fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs, nuts, jams and more. The family friendly atmosphere offers more then just fresh food. It offers music, entertainment and human interaction. The weeks are always highlighted by a weekly theme that supports the delicious goods being produced by local Mid-South farmers.

This week “Strawberry Fields Forever” theme promises lots and lots of fresh scrumptious strawberries. I’m hoping to be able to venture down there to indulge in some fresh berries. Anyone care to join me?

No comments: