4.08.2008

2008 KU Basketball Champions

Seriously I woke up this morning still in awe of the KU victory. I've been dreaming & cheering with college pals about KU winning a national title since I was a freshman...And I literally watched our hopes fade away each March. It particularly hurt in '97 when I was a sophomore in Lawrence and we lost to Arizona (who ended up winning the championship) after an almost perfect season.

After graduation, we kept on cheering. My friends and I joined our cheers with my sister and her KU friends in '02 (Maryland - sadly I watched us self destruct in person in ATL) & '03 (Syracuse - where I heard an earful from a close friend) as we lost in the final 4 back-to-back. And then we saw Roy leave in abrupt matter to go back to UNC.

With the arrival of Bill Self we continued to win, but had a little trouble cracking anything above the elite 8 (but we were still happy making the tourney). That was until now…The KU season started out great! We seemed to be pacing one of my other favorite teams – Memphis.

But Memphis kept winning and KU could never secure the #1 as we dropped games to K-State (bitterness), Texas and Oklahoma State. I argued with my friends in Memphis. I was practically begging to see a KU vs. Memphis match-up in January & February as the smack-talk flew about who which team was better.

But the road to the final 4 paved the way for my ideal match-up KU vs. Memphis to become a reality. And I have to say the victory was both thrilling and bittersweet. I’m not sure a writer could have predicted a better script for this year’s tourney. I'm proud to be a Jayhawk and a KU alum. But honestly I was sad how my hometown, family and friends became a bit deflated after the loss. Hopefully as time passes we can all look back and just reminisce about what an amazing game the championship was… I know I will remember it fondly. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK, GO KU!!!

PS – I’m going to have trouble waiting around another 7 months until basketball season to start-up again.


1 comment:

Amy, Scott, Lily and Sidney said...

March Madness was awesome!

Watching WV (while in WV) beat Duke was oh so nice...didn't expect them to go all the way....

Watching KU beat UNC is a feeling that was just too hard to put into words (esp since I am in the middle of NC basketball territory and my boss is a UNC fan)

Watching KU play a great team like Memphis in the Championship and seeing the shot that caused many Jayhawk hearts stop around the country was just the perfect way to end the season. Woo Hoo! Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!

BTW - I'm getting better at my brackets too. I had the most picks in my office and ended up tied for first, only to get 2nd prize because of the stupid points pick. Ended up a Starbucks gift card and enough caffeine to keep me until football season.

Hope you are doing well! Miss you!!