6.18.2006

It’s our time down here!!!

“Don't you realize? The next time you see sky, it'll be over another town. The next time you take a test, it'll be in some other school. Our parents, they want the best of stuff for us. But right now, they got to do what's right for them. Because it's their time. Their time! Up there! Down here, it's our time. It's our time down here. That's all over the second we ride up Troy's bucket.”
-Mikey Walsh from “The Goonies”

Just like Mikey Walsh stated at the time of this quote, I too am feeling a bit empowered as of late to make the most of my time. Maybe this has to do with the fact a few of my friend’s are departing or have departed Memphis this month for locations around the country and world. They are blazing new paths in their lives from afar, but I do hope that our Goonie like spirit will help to ensure our adventures continue on for another day.

Truth be told, what I’m going to miss the most from these folks is the constant joy and smiles the contributed to our gatherings. I don’t believe this is going to fade over time & distance, but it sure won’t be the same since our conversations won't be face-to-face.

Those one-on-one conversations, complimented by those facial expressions often left me in hysterics. The laughter causing so much pain in the sides that tears literally began to roll down my cheeks! The dueling quotes, the intense debates and the sporadic train of thoughts that somehow all tied together...

And knowing how long-winded I can be on occasion, it is quite refreshing to have that balance of friends that aren't afraid to deflate my precious bubble. Popping that mentality bubble of “your never wrong/always perfect” innuendo (which many of us often live in). This always allowed a revelation within me and others that life shouldn't be taken so seriously, but lived with a little more of that love and lightheartedness.

That’s why I ending this entry by simply saying – “Goonies never say die!”

No comments: