11.30.2007

Matriarch’ s Mission

Normally I spend the season doing some holiday shopping for my family, friends & co-workers. But for the second year in a row, my friends and I decided against the purchase of presents for each other in lieu of buying gifts for a Salvation Army Angel Tree recipient.

This year we purchased gifts for a 4-year old little girl who really wanted a Bratz doll, Dora the Explorer, learning toys and some clothes. So the Matriarch’s set out last night to do a spot of shopping. We got everything on the list and we hope the little girl enjoys the holiday presents as much as we took pleasure in shopping for them. It was pretty amusing to watch us debate the pros & cons of each item, like we were purchasing them for ourselves.

There was major discussion about fun vs. educational toys. And then again heated conversation over clothes, specifically in regards to socks – to purchase ankle or low cut... But beyond all the dialogue over material items, what made a lasting impression on me was observing all the other folks in the store shopping for Angel Tree gifts too.

One couple specifically we met last evening have been purchasing Angel Tree gifts for children over the years. They started it as family project with their kids, but now as empty nesters continue to come out and select kids & presents for the Angel Tree. Hearing them speak of the joy we bring to people we never meet made me feel very full of hope.

By the end of evening I was filled with happiness and laughter as I walked away with my friends.

No comments: