7.20.2009

Coffee + The Orange Cranberry Scone

I’ve been ridiculously tired the last few days, so I decided to stop off at High Point coffee this morning to get an iced beverage. Normally I would just get a drink, but this is my 6th or 7th workday in a row that I’m starting with an early morning meeting. Plus it’s also Monday. So I decided to go ahead and add a scone to my order.

The guy at the window always cracks me up. He’s wired from the amount of caffeine he’s ingested or has an IV filled with caffeine being directly pumped into him at a high volume. Either way, he’s mastered the art of being a people person/making people smile.

He hands over my drink and scone, before laughing and waving me off. I drove off with a contagious smile. A few minutes later I had already spilled coffee on myself, which only ½ soured my smile. I couldn’t wait until the office to eat this scone. I had to crack open my scone snack by the time I reached my second stoplight.
It was flavorful, but I felt a tad disappointed. I realized I was disillusioned because some of my favorite scones are created by my dear college friend Hilary aka Hils.

Hils is a cross between Betty Crocker, Martha Stewart and Charlotte York (ya know - from Sex in the City). She’s an incredible cook, entertainer, a posh dresser, a genuine professional and an outstanding friend. And did I mention that she’s one heck of a scone maker.

Eating this scone today, brought back the memory of when Hils came to visit me and a few other friends from college in Atlanta, GA. My friend Jon and I picked her up at airport from that red-eye flight that swept her in from NYC. When we arrived at the terminal, it was easy to spot Hils amongst the other passengers arriving. She was well put together and looked like she has arrived from a spa, not from the hustle and bustle of a large city.

She hopped in the car, greeted us with her own brand of merriment and presented a goody bag filled with some freshly baked scones. Who on earth wakes up at the crack of dawn, travels 1000+miles via a plane and brings fresh pastries to her friends?
That would be Hils. And these scones weren’t just ok. They were absolutely delicious. The scones were flavorful, savory and obviously made with love. Those scones perhaps may be an extension of Hils own personality. They are sophisticated, yet filling and provide sheer comfort to the pastry eater. All the things that bring a smile to ones face. This is quite similar to the same way that Hils brings a warm, genteel smile to all those she encounters.

So here is to trying to have a good day, remembering fond memories and celebrating those who make us smile.

BTW – HAPPY BIRTHDAY HILS!!!

No comments: