7.10.2009

Rock On Rach!!!

I was told by a friend who (somewhat regularly) reads my blog that my Lost Dog post was rather biting. And I can see that point of view, but I thought the whole incident/return of the dog at least deserved a verbal acknowledgment from the dog owner.

However, the Lost Dog incident is a strong lesson (or perhaps example) of human behavior and how WE (as individuals or society as whole) react. Every day WE are presented with certain incidents that can have positive or negative effects on our attitude/outlook for the day or week. Lost Dog was an example of a negative experience.

Rock On Rach is an example of a positive one…To fully understand this, I’m going to have to start a few weeks back.

A few weeks ago my mom celebrated a birthday. I had woken up extra early that day. My plan was to drop off her birthday present and a cup coffee as I headed to my office. Unfortunately I walked out to my car and had a flat tire. I was LIVID because I had car trouble* again!

Now cranky and frustrated I headed out the door to the repair shop. There I would sit and wait for a good chunk of the morning. Finally when the repair was complete, I decided I would still deliver my mom her presents and coffee (what the heck, i was already late).

I stopped at Starbucks near my mom’s office and waited in a long line. I occupied my time by responding to e-mails on my Blackberry. Finally I ordered my drinks and waited to pay. When I got to the register the Barista asked me what I ordered and rang it in. I eagerly handed over my card to pay, but she refused. Here was our conversation:

Barista: “It’s been taken care of…”
Rachiley: “What do you mean it has been taken care of? I haven’t paid. You just rang in my order.” (very confused)
Barista: “It’s been taken care of…”
Rachiley: “By who?” (still perplexed)
Barista: “It’s been taken care of for you today”
Rachiley: “By you?” (now curious)
Barista: “No, but it’s been taken care of…Have a nice day”


Getting no real answer, I just decided that if someone out there was going to be kind enough to buy my coffee. Then there was no real reason for me to continue being so cranky and irritated. Things are going to happen - long days at work, flat tires and little things people do/say that might irritate you. Some within your control and some that are uncontrollable.

But here I stood being taught a lesson by someone out in the there I may never meet. It was the value of blind generosity. This person was making my day better without even knowing it.

I continued with my day surprising my mom with her gift, but admitting the coffee I brought her was paid for by a stranger.

A few times since that incident I’ve bought coffee for strangers too. It has made me feel good doing something nice for someone I don’t even know. Maybe it will help turn someone’s day around like it did mind. Or maybe it could remind someone else that WE (as people) are generally happy and good in nature whether we know each other or not.

I know if anything that it garnished some appreciation from Barista who regularly makes my iced coffees, hot chocolates and teas on the way into work. Before I pulled away from the window this morning, after he handed me my drink, he said in his very stoner accent, “I like it a lot, Rock On Rach!!!”

*Car Trouble: I would get into the car trouble stats, but I’ll save that for another BlOG. Remember this is a positive blog today ;-)

No comments: