8.24.2006

Happiness Runs In A Circular Motion

It’s amazing how the little things that surround you in life can be the source of great happiness. Often I find myself gauging life by stress, failures and the amount of pain seeping in around me.

Yet, when I really step back and think about what makes me happy it is usually just core, basic necessities. For example it could be going into a restaurant and getting a bendy straw in your drink at lunch. Or spending the afternoon with some kids, letting all your adult ambitions go and playing like you have no fear, no worries, no repercussions about what tomorrow will or will not be. It can even be spending the morning chatting with fun friends while shopping at a farmer’s market. Or as little as that car sing-a-long that happened on a drive across town.

I can only assume this retrospective perspective stems from the fact on Tuesday I celebrated yet another milestone in my life. Indeed this birthday came and went with a lot of things playing out in the background.

But one thing was definitely solidified. I have some of the best family and friends around. And I definitely count myself lucky in this game of life and happiness that I’m continuously able to share space with such a fabulous group of folks.

When the chips are down… When I’ve got pie on my face (yes even literally on my face)…When I’m running around half-crazed from the mindless intellectual trappings of work. I know that I can find solace in the happiness created by the little things and memories that make me smile. Because I know my happiness will be grounded in the constant thoughts of each one of you.

No comments: