3.15.2007

Day Filled with Fun - Part Duex

The second 1/2 of my day started off with the hustle and bustle of lunch downtown. One of my most favorite things I miss about working downtown is going to Calgary’s Waffle Shop during lent. Even though I don’t share the same religion, I appreciate the spiritual uplifting they bring to downtown year after year with their preaching series and lunches.

The waffle shop raises money to support their outreach ministry program. What a great way to celebrate with community by providing spiritual and substantial nourishment. Although there wasn’t a lunchtime speaker on Wednesday, Sarah and I definitely enjoyed chatting with the folks at our table about religion, weather and the delicious food being served. What could be better then fresh homemade waffles and sausages?

After we bid farewell to our new friends from church, we headed back toward the car with every intention to head back out east to the spa. But as we walked down the street we noticed the Memphis Fire Museum on the next block. Immediately we both became distracted/intrigued by the prospect of seeing a fire truck.



The museum did not disappoint. We spent at least an hour touring the museum and learning about fire safety. I think the highlight of the tour for me was either “Billy” the talking old firehouse horse or the “Fire Room.” We were told before the start of the demonstration that this exhibit was not for the faint of heart.

The “Fire Room” simulated in a safe environment what it’s like to be in a real fire. It included very, very dark room, heat, a movie covering a whole wall, smoke behind a glass and orange strobe lighting. We were also lucky to experience this room with 15 screaming kids from Fireside Temple Daycare of Memphis.

Lessons learned from the fire museum:
1. Stop, Drop & Roll!
2. Don’t play with matches or lighters!
3. Rethink visiting the “Fire Room” with small children


Finally we rounded out our day with an afternoon of beauty. Sarah selected a Facial, Scalp Treatment and a Swedish Massage. I went with a Facial and Hot Stone Massage. I believe in the future I can live without the facial, but what I wouldn’t give to have a Hot Stone Masseuse at my beck and call. Seriously the combination of heat + massage= one loose goose!

The day ended with an impromptu happy hour at YaYa’s and a fleeting rainstorm. What a marvelous way to spend the day! Now it's time to keep my head back in the game for the rest of the week.

No comments: