3.14.2007

Plan to Free Cran/Day Filled with Fun

Today started out unlike any other Wednesday – I took the DAY OFF! I know surprise, surprise I ventured out of the norm to relax and have fun. My plan actually started small and simple with a request for a day off.

Then I decided to ask my friend Sarah to join me since she was off all week from student teaching. Our sole plan was to try to utilize some spa gift certificates we both had received over the holidays (ya know way back in December 06).

But then during a planning phase earlier this week Sarah presented the zoo option (of course I was only interested if weather permitted) at first. This simple act turned me onto the discovery of Cranbeary’s (the polar bear) injuries, which made the trip a “must do activity” for our Wednesday outing.

To be honest I wasn’t sure the weather would hold, but I got up bright and early ready to head to the zoo – rain or shine. I so wanted to spring Cran from zoo hospital.

When we got there I decided to actually buy a membership. I figured why not – I live pretty close, you get such a pleasant walk and I can visit all my favorite animals now whenever I wanted. As an added bonus - it’s tax deductible :-) Only problem after I paid for the membership Sarah noticed a sign that revealed the Polar Bears would not be out in their habitat today. I was sad, but with the weather clearing we decided to spend the morning tooling around the zoo anyway.

First we checked out Cat Country. Then we encountered a “spring break camp” that was learning about Hippos – what they eat and dung wars (I kid you not, this was discussed in the same sentence. e-mail me for more details). Then we watched the keeper feed both Julie and Splash. Here is a picture of splash enjoying some fresh cantaloupe:


Next we walked over to see the giant pandas. They are so darn cute! And today was extra special because Le Le was OUTSIDE. I’ve come to the zoo maybe 8 or 9 times since the pandas arrived, but NEVER have I seen them out of their glass enclosures. Of course all Le Le was doing was eating, but she was outside and now I have proof.


Finally, even though I knew Payton & Haley would not be on display we headed to the Northwest Passage exhibit. I went to sit and mope in front of the polar bear display while Sarah checked out the gift shop. When she found me on the bench, she mentioned that the polar bears would be in their habitat for feeding @ 1pm. Next thing I know I looked up and I saw a large white bear walking around. I said it out loud and started pointing like a 5-year old. A lady in front of me said, “Sugar, the polar bears aren’t coming out today.” I looked her square in the face and said, “Well then what is that?!?” She turned to look and next thing I knew she was hollering for all her kids to come join her to watch Payton.

It got really crowded, really quick so we walked out. Sarah drifted over to chat/flirt with a zookeeper. I joined her a minute later after looking at Payton from another angle. Turns out that keeper works with Cranbeary. He gave us a full update and probably TO MUCH INFORMATION, because by the end of my visit/interrogation I had a pretty good idea of where Cranbeary was located within the zoo property. But he did also give me earful about how Payton was getting a raw deal in this story.


Upon hearing the dialogue from the keeper I decided it would probably be best to let Cranbeary heal without my help. She’s already got Smith & Nephew plates and screws now holding her together. The keeper did mention the bear is putting weight on her hind leg, which is a good sign. Plus now as a member I could come visit whenever I get the urge.

Our time at zoo came to a rapid close when Sarah and I both realized it was time to grab a bit lunch. And let’s face it, eating at the zoo with wafting smell was just not an option. Stay tuned for tomorrow to recap the second 1/2 of the day.

No comments: