10.08.2007

The Victorian Village

I traveled back in time this weekend with my friend Celia to the Victorian Village. This historic area of Memphis used to be the address of many of the wealthiest families in the city (in what used to be the edge of the city). These grand houses built in the 1800s stood as symbol of the growth and prosperity of Memphis. The homes remained intact through the yellow fever epidemic and the civil war. Most of the single-family residences were however destroyed in the name of progress by the people of Memphis.
Now all that is left a few original Victorian style homes that litter the streets between Adams & Jefferson. I was so excited when I read in the paper about the Victorian Village tour happening on Sunday. It provided me the opportunity to visit the grand homes, some of which are now private residences or closed museums. I was especially interested in revisiting the Mallory-Neely House and Woodruff-Fontaine House, which used to be yearly stop for school field trips. I had always been fascinated by the large homes because they had such ornate furnishings from the time period and the stories of Molly’s ghost.

The tour did not disappoint as I learned more about the living history left in Memphis. It was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Celia and I were both amazed by the splendor and magnificence of these homes. My only hope is that they do eventually re-open these houses to the general public for tours.
In the meantime if you get a chance, make sure to at least drive through the neighborhood or at least stop in for a drink at the Molly Fontaine Lounge.

No comments: